Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Chippy Pink Treasure

 I am one of those people who stops in at a thrift stores
looking for something in particular and who half the time
ends up finding something else
 or maybe a few somethings  that I wasn't even looking for


I actually have a good excuse to be shopping the thrifts right now
I have been on the lookout for a few pieces of architectural salvage & some pieces for
a few projects on the always growing to-do list.
So with that excuse
;)
I have been stopping in and wandering through the Re-Store more frequently
Though I generally stick to the building supply and salvage sections
 sometimes I just plain wander around.
Honestly, the Re-Store is a dangerous place to wander around.
There are so many fantastic pieces hiding among
all those supplies, tools and old pipe fittings


But... wander I did
and I was headed through the furniture section on my way out.
Nothing was looking too exciting~ but I always take a peek.
Part way down an aisle filled with 1970's & 80's furniture
 it was almost like a beacon light started shining on something.


It was on the dainty side
 it was just laying atop an a chest of drawers
and was barely noticeable really
but even from down the aisle I could see that it was wearing a delightful pale pink coat
 of perfectly chipping paint.
I started to rationalize with myself as to WHY I should not go take a peek at it
 before I even got close to it.

Of course I went down the aisle.
I ran my fingers over it's sweet paint and admired how delightfully it had aged.
I wiped the dust off the mirrors and saw the old streaky finish they had...
I was being sucked into that perfectly imperfect vintage trap...
again.


The Good

Yes, I rationalized.
It was covered in pale creamy delightful pink over the most gorgeous celadon green
and it was perfectly distressed by the years.


It had two areas of original caning in great shape,
dreamy aged old mirrors that folded in 


and a sweet little detailing at the top.



The Bad
The center mirror was broken in half and missing
& one side mirror had damage to the wood that 
caused the mirror to be falling out. 


 I didn't need a vanity mirror even though it was THE perfect shade of vintage pink
I don't even have a heck of a lot of pink in my house other than flowers


But this piece had such charm.
I knew the broken frame was an easy fix & the mirror wouldn't cost much for the
salvage section 8 aisles back
But I wasn't planning to replace the mirror anyway
You see, even though I thought I was thinking about not purchasing it
 I already knew what this ' little vanity mirror that could '
might be with just a little tinkering and love.


So... it came home with me. 
Much to my husbands dismay
 and lots of  head shaking as I pulled it out of the car.
Just wait - I told him- it will be
adorable.


I tinkered. I glued.
I fixed the little mirror frame and slipped the mirror back inside
and removed the broken piece from the center
When it was done- I carted it into my office and smiled.

 

 It looked just like I thought it could.
The center  section became a  message board - perfect for holding those
 inspirational bits of ribbon or fabric or some of the photos that inspire me 
Not sure how long it will stay here
I think my daughter has her eye on it  so it might be moving.


But for now~ I'm enjoying that sweet pale pink with that gorgeous vintage green 
and those streaky, mottled, perfectly aged mirrors
Love it.



Tutorial coming your way soon

:)


 I also wanted to take a minute to say thank you to Stampington & Company
for including French Country Cottage in their latest issue
of Artful Blogging!!


Artful Blogging is such a gorgeous publication - if you aren't familiar with it~
it is filled with beautiful photos and shares the art of blogging and what it means to different people.
There are a couple of bloggers you might know are in this issue as well
 I  am honored to be included!









sharing at
wow
sns



76 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. Love the wallpaper!
    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty!! Pink is one of my favorite colors!! Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You turned the ugly duckling into a beautiful swan. How pretty. See you are on fire. Another publication featuring your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sweet find! congrats on your magazine feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect post, Courtney. I'm in love with the caning on that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to use this lovely, chippy piece, Courtney! Love that you made the middle into a memo board. The fabric is perfect for it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little pink mirror is lucky that you came along. I have to say, looking at your before photo, I wouldn't have seen the promise in it! :-) Beautiful makeover. Charming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am in love too with your chippy pink whatsitmacallit. Amazing transformation. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever it's turned out lovely and has a use too
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Courtney on your feature!
    What a sweet mirror and a true treasure!Yes that paint chippy and all is perfect!Love how you transformed this beautiful piece!So glad you salvaged it!What a perfect addition to your home!x
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats courtney!!! i love artful blogging! and what a genius reinterpretation of this mirror. that fabric is divine. want it!

    you are such a talented lady!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi Courtney - what a creative makeover - so pretty. It looks great. I just love the central pinboard.
    hope you are having a lovely week
    Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on Artful Blogging. I love that pub. You did an amazing job on that mirror!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was there just for you!!! So glad you found it, love the transformation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorg...sigh....love....gasp, LOL!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Only you could turn a broken mirror into a work of art ... love it! And, it was truly meant to be in its new spot. Congrats on your feature, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. And that post is exactly why I love your blog. You have so much vision. Love it and the Blessed Mother statue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well of course this piece had to go home with you. It's perfect for French Country Cottage. I love the message board center. So much more interesting than three mirrors. Congratulations on the feature in Artful Blogging.........Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's fabulous!!...you make everything beautiful!...so enjoy seeing what you think up...thanks for continually inspiring me...xo, Mariaelena

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant, Courtney! SO original and gorgeous. Congrats on your feature too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. pink always adds glamour and a whimsical touch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, what a fabulous find! So glad it caught your eye...and captured your heart. Turned out better than good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Swooning. I am actually light-headed at the sight of how gorgeous and perfectly pink this is...thank you for sharing! That was a FANTASTIC find!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Darling! You chose the perfect fabric for it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found you through the Artful Blogging article. Your photos are lovely. This piece turned out very pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So talented! I am def checking out thrift stores from now on~everyone keeps raving and I never go!

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh man! i love your little treasure.... that pink is so perfect. glad you rescued her!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely shade of pink. It is perfect for you(or your daughter).

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats Courtney! I was in the minute clinic the other day and while browsing the mags I came across your gorgeous publication. There I was reading,it and admiring and then I said wait a minute this is Courtney.I just chuckled to myself. It was stunning! Congrats again to you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks like an awesome piece of pink goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, this is why we keep up the hunt! I love it, so pretty

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  32. Absolutely gorgeous Courtney! You never cease to amaze me and this piece is just beautiful. So creative! Congrats on the magazine feature! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is just adorable!! I love the fabric in the center panel, it really completes the look.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great makeover!!! Absolutely stunning and gorgeous pictures.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  35. Courtney...I love the wicker and the work of art that you transformed this piece into...Our husbands need to meet...Blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm amazed. I wouldn't see there what you did. Beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a precious, romantic find! You did a great job with your repairs!

    ReplyDelete
  38. it was waiting just for you, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. How beautiful!
    I just discovered a Habitat store nearby and now can't wait to go even more!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a delicate looking piece. The colour is so perfectly pale and chippy. I never would have noticed it I am sure. Must find me a Habitat Store to haunt.
    Hugs, Gee

    ReplyDelete
  41. How very creative! How smart you are to think of using the center for another purpose, as a new looking mirror would never have looked right in between those side mirrors which are so perfectly aged.+

    ReplyDelete
  42. Just beautiful, so girly and I don't blame your daughter one bit:)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Glad you acted on your vision.:-) It turned out lovely.
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  44. That was an amazing idea!! Thanks for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  45. It's wonderful! What a perfect shade of pink, and the fabric is wonderful with it. I think i have a few yards of that same fabric at home, just waiting for a project like this. Good for you for seeing the amazing potential in the precious old piece and making it a work of art!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  46. Something else to add to my wish list! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  47. It would have come home with me too. I love how you cleaned and fixed her up and made her pretty again. Patty/ BC

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh so pretty in pink! Love it! You saw the potential and brought out the beauty in it! lin

    ReplyDelete
  49. Congrats on your feature...that is something to really boast about! Your project is gorgeous...what a beautiful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh, Courtney - I'm soooo glad that you saw the beauty in that little piece! It turned out just beautifully! I love love love that wallpaper you used! Will you share where we can purchase it?? Looking forward to your tutorial, girlie!!! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  51. That is a beautiful piece Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Pink is my favorite color and the only time I can really display it in my home is around Valentine's Day, because I live in a house full of men. I follow you via GFC. I host a weekly party that starts at 6:00pm every Tuesday called Fluster’s Creative Muster Party. I would love for you to stop by and share your talent and creativity.

    Hugs and Smiles,

    Robin @ Fluster Buster
    Follow My Blog with GFC

    ReplyDelete
  53. What a great job...it is so charming. I love what you did with the piece and can't wait to see the tutorial. Congrats...very well deserved feature. Thanks for bringing the magazine to this new blogger's attention.
    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  54. Eh Belle...you truly made a silk purse out a sow's ear.....beautifully done......congratulations on your inspiration.
    With fortitude,
    Sylvia Faye

    ReplyDelete
  55. Oh my, that's a beauty! How clever you are, seeing the possibilities in that piece. Congratulations on your magazine feature :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. Perfectly shabby...love that you made a message center in the middle and that fabric is GORGEOUS with it!
    ~Pendra

    ReplyDelete
  57. That is a simply glorious piece...that's all there is to it!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  58. So pretty. I'm so glad you allowed yourself to take a peek. It's like it as made for your desk area.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi Courtney!!!!!

    Congratulations on being included in the magazine!!!

    I love your new message board!! It's funny when I saw the picture where the mirror is missing and the one one the side frame broken I thought it would be a great jewellery holder. Having the one mirror is all you would need to see how you looked. But, I like the message center more because it add that feminine touch to a office.

    Enjoy the rest of the week!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  60. Love that beautiful pink chippy piece!...Looking forward to the tutorial....I am sure your family was amazed at the transformation....congrats on your feature!

    ReplyDelete
  61. It's a perfect piece and the fabric you chose is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Love it!! What a gorgeous colour! Well spotted.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Courtney, it is just beautiful!!! I am trying to add your Feathered Nest Friday party button to my list, but can't find the code for it. You have code for other buttons on the button page, but not the party button. How can I find it?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  64. What a sweet pink find and you gave it a good home and good makeover . Congratulations for making the magazine , I always enjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete
  65. AMAZING! I love how you saw the potential from the get-go. That perfect chippy pink patina was too good to pass up.
    Thanks for the accompanying tutorial, too. LOVE this! The fabric is a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  66. What an incredible piece! I love that you were able to fix it and turn the center into a message/inspiration board! The color is perfect! I looks great on your desk too! I tell you what - if I had it and my daughter tried to get it, I'd lock the door and chase her off! LOL! Mine! I'm also very fond of your Virgin Mary statue - was she a thrift store find as well? There are so many online but this one is very sweet. Glad you had fun treasure hunting. Oh! Did you actually find what you went in for? LOL! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  67. I'm so in love with this soft pink piece.

    ReplyDelete
  68. OOOOhh its so pretty, i'm really impressed with your vision and talent. It looks great. I love pink and I think pastels and rustic style furniture add such charm and character to rooms, without having to work too hard :O)

    ReplyDelete
  69. Truly adorable! What a bright spot in your room. I love how you were able to see the possibility.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  70. This is exquisite - what a lovely find. You have transformed it beautifully,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  71. Courtney, Amazing transformation, and yet you maintained all the wonderful chippy history of the piece, it looks like it was always like this. beautiful! Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

    ReplyDelete
  72. Really nice job Courtney. I love the ReStore. So many treasures to be discovered. I bet this beauty reflects the most gorgeous light. Old mirrors usually do.
    Cheers!
    Miss Ellie

    ReplyDelete